Thursday, June 01, 2006

Summer fun

This weekend marks the first of the official car shows for me this summer. It's a moderate sized event, drawing decent numbers and good quality vehicles. Mine really isn't there for the competition, just to see friends and get ideas for the next project. The show is one of two that I REALLY try not to miss and the only one that my car actually gets the full cleaning treatment for. That process will start Friday after work and will end when my car is parked in its space on Sunday. Usually the car just gets a quick cleaning and appears for a show. I drive it nearly every day in the summer. It even sees the rain, so it's just not worth detailing everything for other people to look at it. I enjoy the driving part too much to make it a trailer/show queen.
The first show will take me about 60 miles each way. I've been out making short trips checking everything and all seems OK. A few electrical demons to exorcise this year and just one little mechanical issue have surfaced so far. It should be a fun time reuniting with people that I haven't seen in person since the show last year.
The second show is much easier and closer. It's less than 1/2 a mile from my house. Friends use my driveway as a staging point, meeting in the early AM to do the last minute cleanings and watch the other cars drive in. I'm on the only entry road to the show. We like to see and hear the others as they go in in the AM and exit the show at the end of the day. Simple things make me pretty happy. The gathering of friends is not always simple with jobs, families etc. These few days a year are set aside for this reason. Getting together, telling stories and lighting the hides is just good entertainment and a great distraction from the responsibilities of life. How the vehicles place, if we even have them judged, really has no meaning to us. Fun is the key. We all have too many serious things in everyday life to make a hobby something that also has to competitive and serious.

Enjoy life.

mark

No comments: