Thursday, March 23, 2006

A Bet Lost and A Lesson Learned

A Bet Lost and A Lesson Learned
With the standardized testing being so important and attendance being a large part, I bet my small group of testers (19) that someone would miss one of the three days set aside for testing. Well, I had all present the first two days. The third day there was one that was conspicuously absent. He’s one of our more “boisterous” young lads. When it was determined that he was not in school today, no one saw (or heard) him today, it was almost like and English football game. The mob was forming! The others were ready to inflict various forms of punishment upon the individual who was missing. “I talked to him last night and he was fine!”, “He’s not sick!”, “I know he’s skipping!” were a few of the comments. I was amazed at the fury and how fast it grew! ( A good lesson for me too.)
It was a really nice lesson in jumping to conclusions. It turned out that the guidance office had kept him for testing in their office because he was a few minutes late getting to school. He arrived for the second test and was met with the unhappy bunch. (I knew where he was, and didn't say anything.)
I now must go and live up to my end of the bet since I “lost”…orange juice, milk and doughnuts for all. We’ll use our usual Fitness Friday time as a “Fatness Friday” and enjoy the fruits of their labors. I just hope our PE department is understanding!!
mark

1 comment:

Linda said...

My 4th graders just took the second state math test of the year. I offered a "reward/treat" for anyone that passed that had not or anyone that could raise the score by five points. I owe 19 treats. Not too bad. The others will also get treats, a bit smaller for the great effort they put out on the test! A win/win!
Linda